Thursday 26 February 2015

How I've used YouTube in my maths class

While on prac last year, I provided my mentor with a list of things that I wanted to experiment with in the classroom and improve on. One of the things on my list was using ICTs in maths.

My mentor said 'yeh sure, go ahead'. So I jumped at the chance and looked for some inspiration for what I could experiment with.

I'm a massive fan of Sal Khan and what he's done created with Khan academy (for his TED talk on using video to reshape education, click here). I brainstormed a little and thought about how I could use this tool to guide student's through worked examples in maths. I decided to parody my own version of a Khan academy video. I used the screen recording software on quicktime player to record my screen, I used my wacom to draw onto my paintbrush software, and put it all together using garageband! - How's that for using ICTs. The result was this YouTube video.

I found that the male students engaged more with the technology, and I was able to then go and work with them individually if they got stuck. The female student's didn't engage with it as much, and preferred for me to run the information through it again with them on the board.

The students were very used to a strict structure of taking notes and learning through going through worked examples in the board and as a result have the opportunity to discuss and develop a conceptual understanding of the topic before they use ICTs to learn. To improve, I would have focused more on making sure the communication that was presented was similar to that of what is expected when they complete questions on tests and that there was also a deeper discussion regarding the formula and theory. Stacey (2005) supports that this method could be useful when helping students to develop an understanding of the appropriate use of ICTs. Stacey (2005) mentions that one of the teachers in their study of the use of calculators stated that they wanted students to develop a strong conceptual understanding by doing simple calculations by hand before using technology to understand concepts. This aims to allow students to develop and understanding of when it is appropriate to use technology. Therefore, by stepping students through the working out 'manually' before students use ICTs they have the opportunity to develop a conceptual understanding. I would also consider introducing new topics face to face, and then providing the YouTube video to students who need to catch up and review the worked example later on.

I did encounter a problem where one student that did not have access to the internet. It it essential to consider that some students live in situations where they can not access ICTs and it is essential to make accommodations for these student's. From the perspective of ensuring that all students have the opportunity to access technology and learning equally, I would have perhaps reconsidered the activity, and in the future modify the task to allow the student an equal opportunity to learn.

From this reflection, I have developed more of an understanding as to how the use of ICTs needs to be ethical and cater to all students. It also needs to ensure that students are learning to the best of their abilities, which may require task modifications.


Stacey, K. (2005). Accessing results from research on technology in mathematics education. Australian Senior Mathematics Journal, 19(1), 8-15.

2 comments:

  1. I am also a HUGE fan of the Khan academy ! it is the perfect compliment in any maths or science classroom. In fact i used it myself last year when i was learning chemistry online !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill, I did the same! I'm glad you found me blog! I found yours too! I'm excited! we can communicate with the other online students heaps more now!

    ReplyDelete