Saturday 21 February 2015

Reflection on the use of Popplet

For my own personal learning, I just finished creating a popplet to help me plan for an essay.

I just wanted to reflect on the experience and how I could use this in a classroom.


Although I didn't explore all of the functions (which I intend to do in the future) I was able to create a type of mind map that eventually lead me to be able to write a hypothesis for an essay.


I understand that my beliefs and values regarding how an essay or report should be written are quite firm and structured. I 'do' with my 'logical' brain. That is I'm a left brain-doer. That means I like to write lists and have everything sequenced. Therefore this process is a little outside of my comfort-zone as it requires the user to think about how the information could be interconnected as opposed to sequenced. However, for the right brain-thinker.. or the creative thinker, if you like, this would be perfect as it allows for flexibility and integration of creative ideas. Jennifer McIntyre covers this theory of the brain in orientation week at USQ, however, this images summarises the above. Green is the 'left brain doer' and yellow is the 'right brain thinker'.

In terms of where I could use this in the classroom, I could integrate it into an assignment preparation activity, as an inquiry tool for science and understanding the interrelatedness of concepts or to help breakdown and categorise formulas in maths.

Does anyone have any ideas of activities that you could run in a history/religion classroom?

Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment