Sunday 15 March 2015

Dragonbox and SMAR... but does it really fulfil the requirements of the curriculun?

After starting to go through the learning path for this week, week 3, I tried out dragon box and I've investigated a little into the SMAR model after it was discussed in the tutorial, and I've come to the following conclusions.

Dragonbox is great, I'll give you that. I really do see how it redefines how students learn algebra. It moves them away from working with numbers, and allows them to understand key processes in an entirely new way. The results show according to their testimonials.

Also, the dragon box system could be used from grade 8-10 according to the australian curriculum. The dragon box content or games played covers all of the algebra content descriptors.

However, I researched into the standards elaborations for grades 8-10. One thing that was part of the standards elaborations that the dragon box system fails to meet it the reasoning and justification aspect. I know that the intention of dragon box is not to assess, however, students need to learn how to communicate their working, reason and justify their answers regarding the questions. In my experience at school, the teachers have always gone through worked examples and asked students to practice the skill of providing correct working out and justification for questions.

Therefore, if I was to use dragon box, I would only use it as a tool for learning basic content regarding algebra, but I would also focus on building students communication, reasoning and justification skills.

I also thought about what it would be like to have dragonbox as a card game!

No comments:

Post a Comment