Sunday 29 March 2015

My unit plan and some resources

Well, after finishing assignment 1, I'm getting more excited about my unit plan. I actually enjoy writing unit plans because its so practical in terms of teaching.

I'm using a unit that I wrote for another course for year 12 physics about circuits and testing variables on circuits to check energy efficiency and things like that.

Today, I did a quick browse of the web for some resources and I found a two that I thought Ah! that will come in handy when I will teach...


The first is a tool for making Gifs. Gifs, in my opinion, are under-utilised in education at the moment. Basically a gif is a image that moves or a really short video on repeat. For anyone who has never seen a gif, think the pictures in harry potter.

When I came across this website I thought what a brilliant idea... getting students to make gifs to show how something works. In physics, we use a lot of diagrams to explain how things work. I think it would really help if these diagrams could move. So either, I could make gifs to show for example, the water flow metaphor for electricity, or get the students to create gifs to show me how their circuits should work in their assignments, or get them to make a gif to help them remember how to do an equation. The possibilities are endless.

The other resource that I found that I thought ah! this would really help build student understanding and help them apply their knowledge, is a circuit digram/circuit simulator see here. I think I would use this in my unit plan when students are hypothesizing about their experiments to help them check and plan. Also, it can help teach the essential items in circuits.

I'm still working on getting some more resources etc, but I think this is a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment