Wednesday 15 April 2015

Assignment 2 thoughts

Ok God, I'm getting the hint now, you want me to work on assignment 2 now that I've submitted some of my other assignments, its ok, I'm getting there. 

After being reminded by this post, and this post, and this post to begin my assignment and start thinking about writing a unit plan, I've decided that I will, due to time pressure, use a unit that I've already designed. 

But, I did want to share my thoughts on BCE's religious education curriculum. At the moment through my subjects at ACU, I'm learning about the differences between the different methods used in Catholic schools to teach religious studies. Now, religious education tends to want to do 2 main things. 

1. teach people about religion (like in SOR)
2. and teach people to be religious in a particular way (like in the church) 

But it wasn't always like this, and often, these elements overlap. The religious education curriculum is nice enough to separate all of the content areas onto knowledge and skills (constructing and transforming knowledge)- that tells us something about how we need to approach religious education. It means that we need to be integrating the topics as well as aligning the knowledge and skills within a unit. And each of the content areas relate "teaching people about religion" because the Catholic schools framework discusses what to do in Catholic Schools to teach students to be religious in a particular way. 

I just wanted to note as well that the BCE religious education curriculum has an app, same with ACARA, very handy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment