Thursday 23 April 2015

What I really don't like about twitter

I was scrolling through twitter just before, and when i signed up to twitter I chose to automatically follow a whole bunch of news twitter feeds. This, my fellow teaching colleages, was a huge mistake. 

The thing with twitter is that news companies only get 125 (i think) characters to introduce a story, and oftentimes, they choose to focus on a particular part of a story that .. well really doesn't have anything to do with the story, or at best exaggerates what the real article is about. 

For example, there was a link to an article from a newspaper that said "is it ok to call obese models fabulous?"and it had a picture of a beautiful obese model on there. I clicked and read on the article (maybe that was my mistake) but what I found was actually a medical professional (I think) talking about the negatives of obese and overweight people within the population. It had nothing to do with models, or looking fabulous, or what to call obese models. 

Again, I clicked on another article that talked about how Robert Downey Junior from the avengers walked out from an interview. With this tweet there was a picture of Scarlet Johanson along with it. The article then described how 2 of the members of the avengers cast (not Robert) had made the mistake of commenting in a derogatory way about Scarlet Johanson's CHARACTER the black widow. Then, about halfway down the page it had a video from the interview with Robert. 

In one of my early blogs I was talking about how I thought that twitter would be great in my classroom because it allows for more communication etc. But now rethinking this in regards to how big news corporations can't describe their understanding of things properly within the 125 characters, how can I expect my students to do the same? 

No comments:

Post a Comment